1. You are not nearly as clever as you think you are, but you are a lot more intelligent than you give yourself credit for.
2. Your story has been told ten thousand times before, but no one can tell it the way you can.
3. You are not a special snowflake, but there is no one else in the universe who sees things the way you do.
4. The world will never notice if you fail to tell your story, but if you do tell your story, the world will never be quite the same.
5. Strive to be original and authentic in everything you do, but read as much as possible and imitate those writers you admire.
6. Learn all the rules of good writing. Then break them.
7. Never read your critics, but always take expert criticism to heart.
8. Remember there is nothing more wretched than the things humans sometimes do to each other, but there is nothing more beautiful than being part of the human race.
9. A million years from now, nothing you did will matter, but in this moment, nothing matters more than whatever it is you are doing right now.
10. Listen carefully to the advice of people who know more than you. Then ignore all of it, and do whatever you want.